Thursday 8 September 2011

Focus groups: Sports fans

Focus Groups:  Sports Fans

For my focus groups of sports fans I asked a few boys at my cricket club what they want from a trailer.




1. What features of a really catch your attention?

Sports Fan 1: a famous phrase or saying being used, then I look twice.

Sports fan 2: A good song!

Sports fan 3: Some sort of explanation of the film in the first few words e.g. ‘the Manchester United team has a new manager’, that way I know what it’s about straight away

2. What is it about a trailer that makes you wants to go and see it in the cinema rather than wait for a DVD release?

Sports Fan 1: A good plot, where a character is in real need of help!

Sports fan 2: when you think that the family or you and your mates will like it, not just you!

Sports fan 3: when you can relate to the character from past experiences of your own.

3. What do you want from a trailer about a sports based film?

Sports Fan 1: Real sayings that sports people have said and silly things that happen in everyday sports clubs e.g. nobody likes the new kid in the team

Sports fan 2: I want a good sports theme tune like Match of the Day or an inspirational one like We are the Champions

Sports fan 3: Again an experience that you can relate to your own

4. What do you think of having female main characters in a sports based film?

Sports Fan 1: If it’s a good plot and dramatic, it doesn’t matter

Sports fan 2: Is it funny? Is there drama? Can I see it with my girlfriend? No problem!

Sports fan 3: If there’s more than one, in any film main character, I don’t like too much focus on one person, I will still watch it

1 comment:

  1. Your focus groups were clearly a very good idea. It's good that you've asked different groups of people - your actual target audience. It helps to add some detail to your questionnaire - which is a little basic.

    I hope this gives you lots of ideas of what you're going to do, so you can narrow your ideas down. In your evaluation, it will be really useful for you to be able to say what you did and why - bring in this research as the basis of your explanations.

    ReplyDelete