Sunday 4 December 2011

What have you learned from your audience feedback?

What improvements can be made to my products based on the audience feedback I have collected?

After I had finished my products I distributed a questionnaire to 10 tennis fans that met my target audience via facebook to gain feedback that could be used in the post production process and to ascertain the level of satisfaction.


The results were shown in my previous blog posts;

The feedback highlighted the need to improve key aspects of the products in order to meet the target audience expectations. 

Trailer

The response showed that the target audience disapproved of the use of the main characters voice for the voice over in replacement of the stereotypical 'deep voice' used in most sports films trailers. Therefore to improve this I should change the voice over to a conventional deep voiced male by rerecording it.
This may make my trailer ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCIAPvFL-7Y&feature=g-upl) more appealing to the target audience.
Successful sports film trailers generally involve deep voice overs eg. Wimbledon.   (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTZFMhpNFfY)


In terms of humour not as many people found the trailer as funny as I would have hoped. I put this down to the fact that only 3 characters were involved in my trailer. This limits the amount of humour you can show in a 2 minute trailer as the audience is restricted to viewing action involving the same characters.  Therefore, I should involve more characters to make the trailer seem more funny, even if they are not main characters. Other successful sports films do this well.  I could also have used mise en scene more creatively and perhaps had shots of the players in other settings to add more variety to the humour that could have been created. 

Funny Moments in my trailer:
The top left photo shows the humorous part of my trailer when I use the iconic John  Mcenroe line 'You cannot be serious" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV1LzXf1TKQ. The bottom left photo shows Kayleigh falling down in her press up. The right hand side picture shows me later on in the trailer getting thrashed by a novice. The 3 parts are shown at 3 very different times in the trailer. They involve the same two characters, this may not sustain the audiences interest as there is no opportunity to add humour by introducing interactions with other character. 

Humorous moments of other trailers and why they work better than mine:




Poster 


My audience evaluation indicated that some found it difficult to clearly differentiate the levels of seriousness between the two main characters shown in the poster image. To improve this I suggest that the a new image be used. The image should be more explicit and make the clash and bitter rivalry between the two girls more evident to the viewer.  Real media texts such as those highlighted below achieve this well mainly through contrasting facial expressions, body language and costume:

The image is a film poster of the film 'Meet the fockers'.  The facial expressions of the two characters are  highly contrasted to give the audience a clear view of a clash in personalities and allows them to differentiate between the levels of seriousness between the two characters. 

By replacing the image with a more explicit, over the top composed pose I could also meet the second requirement of my target audience which was to make the image more comical. They were 50/50 split on whether they interpreted the image as comical. My film genre is mainly a chick flick with conventional comedy elements so its essential that I replace the image. This comical effect could be achieved through the use of props and costume as shown in the poster images below:









Magazine Cover 


My target audience indicated that the cover didn't make it clear what the title of the film being covered in the main feature was. This suggests to me that the title text wasn't large enough or eye catching enough to grab the audiences attention.


To improve this I should make the title text bigger and bolder as other successful film magazine covers do:







The target audience also suggested that the main image used on the cover wasn't eye catching enough. I think that if the costumes were more extravagant and clearly spelled 'Tennis' that it would attract the eye of many tennis and sports fans. Also due to the seasonality of shooting the film the background in many of the shots was autumnal and dull (even though I tried to choose the brightest days for filming).  I need to use photo shop to remove the background of images used.

Instead of these costumes:

The costumes show typical sports clothing, not specifically 'Tennis' type costumes. 

I could have used professional costumes more like the Wimbledon film does to add to the verisimilitude of the production:





These costumes are all easily recognisable as tennis dress  with the white colour scheme denoting Wimbledon. I could have improved my production by improving the costumes through the use of tennis dresses,  head bands and the typical tennis sponsors used on the clothing such as Nike and Head.
If the costumes in my magazine cover were pure white and the two girls were in tennis dresses it would provide an immediate association with the audience who would recognise the 'Tennis' type film. The problem with my costumes is that it looks more like the girls are in PE kit rather than tennis kit. Also the clothing is too dully coloured to contrast with the dull background. White dresses would really stand out from the dull coloured tennis courts. 



No comments:

Post a Comment